All preschool math program requirements and schools look to strengthen math instruction for students across the grades. Parents and educators can play an important role in ensuring that practices that have proven to be effective in promoting math learning are in place:
· Know what concepts and skills a child has already learned so that an effective program of instruction and support can be designed and implemented early in the preschool year.
· Teachers will want to meet students “where they are” and tailor instruction to build on the individual child’s knowledge and ability.
· Be sure to reinforce and practice math learning throughout the day, in school, at home, and in the community.
· Focus less on passive learning (such as listening to someone explain and demonstrate), and provide lots of hands-on activities. Young children (and older ones too!) learn by doing.
· Many parents aren’t sure how to teach their preschoolers math at home. Use parent-teacher conferences to discuss strategies that have been successful in the classroom and talk about how these can be reinforced in everyday games and activities at home.
Ms. Nora Sierra
Early Childhood Coordinator